Far Cry is one of the biggest video game franchises out there, so it makes sense that people were excited when Ubisoft revealed that a new game in the series would be hitting shelves this year.
Actually, Far Cry 6 is slated for release on October 7 this year, and will be taking players to Yara, a fictional island country in the Caribbean.
Judging by what we’ve seen so far (including last month’s gameplay reveal) this game will boast production values as high as those of Ubisoft’s previous entry Far Cry 5, with the Montana-set game being the best-selling entry in the franchise to date.
And Far Cry 6 will likely feature the same mix of exciting first-person action and cinematic storytelling as its predecessors, but the thing is, will it be able to top Far Cry 3, arguably the series’ best entry to date?
It’s clear Ubisoft is pulling out all the stops in order to deliver a quality product, as no less than 12 studios are working on Far Cry 6 as the game’s audio director revealed in a recent tweet (via TheGamer).
These include lead studio Ubisoft Toronto, which previously also worked on Ubisoft’s Far Cry 5.
Of course, as can be expected Ubisoft Montreal is also involved in the project – these were the people behind Far Cry 3 and other Ubisoft classics like Assassin’s Creed II, so them collaborating in some capacity on Ubisoft’s upcoming shooter was to be expected.
There’s also Ubisoft Berlin involved, the people who brought the world top-notch strategy series like The Settlers and Anno, although these games are very different to the Far Cry series of course.
Other studios taking part in the project include Ubisoft Kyiv, Ubisoft Shanghai and Ubisoft Quebec, truly making this a “global collaboration” as Eduardo Vaisman of Ubisoft says in his tweet.
— Eduardo Vaisman #Masked&Vaxxed (@EdVaisman) June 23, 2021
So Ubisoft is definitely pouring a lot of resources (more than a quarter of its studios as TheGamer points out) into Far Cry 6, which as previous entries in the series will feature open-world gameplay in an exotic setting.
This will also have co-op multiplayer like Far Cry 5, letting you play through the campaign with a friend, but like previous games the emphasis will be on the single player campaign, which will once again have a charismatic villain at its center – a dictator played by Giancarlo Esposito of Breaking Bad no less.
All the previous games in the series have followed this pattern, but Ubisoft might be looking to shake things up a bit with the next Far Cry after it’s done with Far Cry 6 if an industry insider is to be believed.
Video game reporter Jason Schreier of Bloomberg said so in an episode of Triple Click podcast (as reported on comicbook.com), saying Ubisoft is looking to change course with the next game in the series.
“From what I have heard, if I remember correctly, they’re aiming to go in a radically different direction for Far Cry after [Far Cry 6]”, said the Bloomberg reporter.
This means that Far Cry 7 (is that’s indeed what the series’ next entry will be called) might skip the traditional open-world gameplay of the series, which to date has had players taking over enemy outposts, climbing radio towers to reveal the map (although Far Cry 5 mostly removed this), skinning animals to craft items and travelling to certain locations to receive missions from key characters in order to continue the story.
Heck, there’s even a possibility that the next Far Cry will put less emphasis on the story-driven single player campaign and follow Call of Duty’s path with a free to play Warzone-style component.
Actually, Ubisoft did mention in a recent earnings call that free to play games would be a part of the company’s future, so Far Cry could be gearing in that direction too.
Either way, what matters to fans of the series right now is that Far Cry 6 lives up to the hype, something we’ll find out when Ubisoft’s game launches this fall.